ANST - AOA/GOA etc courts - Brand new, help!

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Wed Jan 14 22:28:20 PST 1998

At 05:57 PM 1/14/98 -0500, you wrote:
>::peeks up over the edge of the mail:: I'm brand new to this list and the
SCA,
>will someone tell me what AOA/GOA and the like stand for? My introduction is
>forthcomming,  I'll post it tonight, promise. Till then, thank you for your
>patience!
>
>Rowan
>(rowan2u at aol.com)

Rowan,
These are good questions.  The SCA has three different levels of
armigerious standing.  The Award of  Arms (AOA), the Grant of Arms (GOA),
and the Patent of Arms (POA or peerage).  Each of these grant the recipient
a title and various additions to one Achievement.  The first two can be
given by themselves to anyone the Crown chooses, usually for service.  The
most common is the simple Award of Arms.  Within the Kingdom of Ansteorra
there are various other awards that carry with them an automatic AOA's or
GOA's.  These are spelled out in the various charters that the crown has
signed creating the award.  They include the Sable Crane, Sable Thistle,
etc. for AOA's.  The awards that carry an automatic GOA's are the White
Scarf, Sable Centurion, Star of Merit, and the Iris of Merit.  The POA is
never given out by itself in Ansteorra, it always comes with one of the
Three Peerages, Chivalry (Knight or Master of Arms), Pelican, or Laurel.
Some Kingdoms grant former rulers that are not yet members of one of the
orders of peerage a "Royal" POA.  One more thing, separate from the ranks
of Arms are the ranks of Nobility.  Of these, the Court Baron/ess comes
with a GOA.

In Service to the Dream

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald
Baron of Wiesenfeuer