ANST - Steppes 12th Night

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Jan 15 15:54:06 PST 1998

> Yes, we also have similar problems in Stargate...usually we do buffet.
> At Yule we tried to make the buffet more interesting, less cafeteria
> style.

I don't like doing "buffet" style serving at most feasts. It just seems to
destroy the "Medieval feel" of an event for me. I especially would not have
done so at this feast, considering the numbers of people and the fact that I
wished to have this as "Period" as possible. I even considered hand washing,
at least for High Table, but really was too busy for the logistics of it.

For smaller, less formal, events I have used the buffet line and it wasn't
a problem.

> One Yule we had each table send up one of their own to act as
> their server.  We had large platters for them to bring up for that
> remove of food, and a different person from that table could be "server"
> on the next remove.

I've done serving this way and it has been fairly successful. People asked me
if I wanted to go that route with 12th Night but since we were giving people a
discount who served, I decided not to do this. "Full time servers" worked pretty
well at Mahdi & Valeria's Coronation that I did, but that was because we had
enough servers to take care of everybody as well as having a terrific Server
Coodinator.

> kaitlyn mckenna

Yers,

Gunthar