ANST - Too many meetings, too little fun

calypso at chaosbutterfly.com calypso at chaosbutterfly.com
Thu Jan 15 22:00:20 PST 1998

Addressed to: ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG
              Bethor2000 <Bethor2000 at aol.com>

** Reply to note from Bethor2000 <Bethor2000 at aol.com> Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:17:02 EST
Another barony I lived in had a mass meeting that was nothing but a bull session,
it was done once every reign, and then presented to the crown for each group to
attend the kingdom bull session. It wasn't an event or populace or officers
meeting. This was for everyone who participated in the SCA who wanted to come.
Anyone could air their concerns and suggestions to the problems presented without
retaliation. It seemed to work very well. Sometimes things became a shouting match
but an impartial "referee" was designated to keep order. Meetings were usually
long, but were broken into sections. Before the meeting people signed up their
topic for discussion. This made sure each topic was covered and overlaps were
eliminated. Associated topics could be discussed consecutively. For each problem
suggestions  to solve them were required before the next problem was looked at.
this gave everyone a chance for input, not just table the problem for future
consideration( which as we all know never quite happens)  Solutions were worked
on, tried and if it worked, grreat, if not, then try the next one. It could then
be said that it HAD at least been tried.

Sorry for the soap box derby, I'm sure to get razzed for it, oh well........

In service to the dream,
3xLady Jotahn Firesteed
Barony Stargate, Ansteorra