ANST - About me - Rowan

Fri Jan 16 04:21:30 PST 1998

>1.  "Celt" has a clear modern meaning, but please realize
>that it's a modern concept and world view.  When developing
>a persona, you may want to pin it down to a particular
>Celtic region.
>
>Arval Benicoeur wrote: "No one in our period would have
>described herself as <a Celt>.  The idea of pan-Celtic
>identity is modern, arising in the 19th century.  Even the
>word <Celt> was not used in English until the mid-17th
>century.  In the Middle Ages and Renaissance, the several
>Celtic nations had distinct cultures and languages [2] ... A
>period woman might have called herself (or have been called
>by others) Irish, Welsh, Cornish, or Breton, but not Celtic.
>The ancient Romans described some of their neighbors as
><Celtae>, but the term lost any practical meaning long
>before the Middle Ages."

In early SCA period, a Celt would be more likely to use a clan identity
than a regional identity.  National identities really get started around
1000 C.E. for the Celts and were secondary to the clans for many years.

>[2] Gaelic in Scotland and Gaelic in Ireland were mutually
>intelligible in period, I believe, so I suspect on no
>evidence they would have seen themselves as more related
>than, say, Gaelic speakers were to English.  Nevertheless,
>Arval's basic point stands; there was no Celtic People's
>Liberation Front, and Scotsmen had no problem killing each
>other or allying with outsiders.

The Gaelic Scots originate with the invasion of what was to become
Scotland by a band of Irish sea rovers about the 1st Century B.C.  They
invade the North about the same time Julius Caesar was invading the
South.