ANST - Event costs

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Fri Jan 16 11:38:17 PST 1998

> Hi all, Aquilanne here.
Hi Aquilanne!
<...>
> you aware that good sized events can lose as much as $1000 in one
> whack?

Yes.  The first one I autocratted lost over $600. I've autocratted
several since then and learn each time from my mistakes.

> Also, while we're at it, when's the last time you went to the movies
> or out
> to dinner? Movies cost around $7 per person to get in during prime
> time,
> and I don't even want to *think* about how much they charge for
> popcorn and
> coke. As for dinner, unless you're going out to McDonalds, you're
> going to
> pay close to $10 per person for a decent meal with a beverage, and
> *maybe*

Almost never.  I can't afford it _and_ site fees.  As for dinner, who
can afford to eat out? For $10-$15 I can feed a balanced square meal to
a family of four, including drinks and dessert.  These examples I've
seen time and time again and they do not apply. They sound more geared
toward singles and childless couples, which many SCA'ers have stopped
being.

> dessert. At an SCA event like Steppes 12th Night, site *and* feast was
> $10
> in advance, $12 at the door. This was for a *12 hour event* PLUS food!

And it was fantastic and well priced.  The Barony of the Steppes should
be, and has been, complemented on this year's 12th Night.

> So before we start flying off the handle about how "unchivalrous" it
> is for
> a group to ask for an extra $3.75 (or whatever) per person, let's sit
> back
> and scrape up a little perspective. Sorry, Ulf, don't mean to single
> you
> out to pick on; I've occassionally heard other folk express thoughts
> like
> those you expressed and it's usually just because they weren't fully
> aware
> of all the monetary concerns that a group deals with--outside of
> putting on
> an event--on a day to day basis. It's more than many folk realize.

You are correct that most folk don't realize the cost for things not
immediately visible.  I will maintain my point, though, and second Rumil
about taking a long range look at the growth of the funds.  If a group
ends up with a significant percentage increase in funds at the end of
the year, then they should consider their gate fees may be too high.

Thanks for the argument, you all, this is cheering up my day!  Watch
out, world!
(arrOOROOROOO!)

Ulf Gunnarsson
*---These are my opinions only, and not the opinions of my employers,
*---spouse, or family doctor.  So there.  Contents may settle during
*---shipping.  Send spelling complaints to ulf at urocor.com