ANST - Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 16 14:29:15 PST 1998

Pug Bainter wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
>   There is something that people asking the Kingdom to pay for something
>   should know.
>
>   According to the new Kingdom Law, if the Kingdom gives *any* funds
>   for a Kingdom event, the Kingdom gets 50% of the profits. I *think*
>   they have to give them 30% even without funding. This is changed from
>   the old vague:
>
>       A branch which hosts a Kingdom event may, at the discretion of
>       the Crown, be asked to contribute a portion of that event's net
>       profits to the Kingdom.

Actually PUG, this was changed under the reign of Bear and Catherine
when I was Kingdom Seneschal.  I know, Rhodri and I wrote it, and Bear
and Catherine signed it into Law.  At that time the Kingdom coffers were
dangerously empty and the Kingdom had absolutely no way of getting a
steady income.  What many people don't realize is that the Kingdom is
considered a group, just like any shire or barony, and that Kingdom
events belong to the Kingdom, just as a Baronial Championship or an
investiture belongs to the local group.  By that I mean that the Kingdom
can get an autocrat and hold its own events, it does not require a
hosting group.  By allowing local groups to host the events it does two
things...takes the pressure off of overburdened Kingdom officers to
oversee the planning and execution of the event, and allows the local
group to make a little profit.  The group stands no risk of losing money
to the kingdom, because the Kingdom only takes a split of the profits,
not the net.