ANST - Proposition: a Kingdom Business Meeting

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 16 15:33:34 PST 1998

Vicki Marsh wrote:

> Greetings from Zara Zina,
>
> Graf Galen K. wrote:
> >
> > Although I agree with Alton and Zara Zina's postition here....

>snip>

> There *are* issues that are important enough to stand up for and argue over. I do not deny that fact.  I *don't* think that the proper place is on stage at a Baronial event where everyone in the place can watch the theatrics and temper tantrums that some circles are famous for.

Please not the way I started my earlier post....as I said, I agree.  My
remarks were meant for Altons reactions to your post where he basically
said that some well meaning peer should  stand up and "Boot out" someone
who is misbehaving.  That is often the attitude that starts the yelling
and temper tantrums which we do not want to display and have overshadow
our events.  I am much more in favor of quiet, but earnest and intense
discussion of issues and disagreements than the attitude that "I don't
like the way you behave, get the hell out...".  And _please_ don't think
that I believe that was what you were saying.  It absolutely is not.  In
all my dealings with you I have ever found you most gracious and
courteous, even when dealing with situations where it was clear that you
would rather not be. That is the example I like to see set.  If more
people followed it, we would have less problems of the sort which
generated this discussion.

> As a society, we will have internal strife.  We will argue. We will form factions. It is the normal course of human society that this will happen.  And it is up to us to provide for the proper safe outlet for this expression of opinion and feelings.

Exactly what I was trying to say above.  I feel that the concept of
"Boot the bum out" is contrary to this.  On the other hand, there are
times that people will behave boorishly, no matter there rank. Sometimes
they must be confronted to correct this.  In this case, you can be sure
that there will be a loud, effusive discussion, as a boor rarely accepts
that his behaviour is wrong, nor easily corrects it.

> I am simply advocating the ackowledgement of what the event is being held for.  I did not feel like Steppes 12th night was a Steppes event.  It was *not* a celebration.  It was not the type of an event where someone new to the Society would come away enthralled with the wonder of it all (although the Laurel ceremonies were pretty cool, the food was great, and there were some pretty incredible A & S displays). I still felt like too much business got in the way.
>
> At most large events, there is some important Kingdom business that takes place.  It does *not* have to take over the event to the extent that it overshadows the event.
>
> We are getting large enough to need a large Kingdom business meeting at least once a reign, preferably after Crown Tournament and before Coronation, so that the Heirs are fully caught up with the current problems and needs.
>
> Of course, now that I have stated that the cat needs to have a bell, the question is, "Who will bell the cat?". Hmmm??

Although I was unable to attend Steppes 12th Night, I can sympathize
with your feelings.  I like the idea of a semi-annual business meeting.
I agree that it will reduce, but not eliminate the need for major
business to be conducted at other events.  Now..who is willing to give
up their weekend to have the crown, goofs, peers, supporting cast, at
their local event so that we may all attend the business meeting?  We
are all agreed that it is a good idea, now we have to begin the struggle
for practical implementation.

Graf Galen K.