ANST - Event costs

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Mon Jan 19 06:18:30 PST 1998

Sir Lyonel penned this:

> Uh, no.  We're neither single nor childless, and I consider the
> example
> applicable.  Aquilanne's comparing the cost of one activity (going to
> an
> event and eating feast) with the cost of a similar activity (going out
> find other entertainment and a meal).  You are trying to compare both
> with
> a meal at home.

You are right.  I was comparing apples with oranges.  Going to an event
is like going out for the evening in monetary terms.  My family does not
go out for dinner and a show as much as some _because_ we go to events
instead.  Sorry for the bad logic.

> Ulf opines:
>
> >And it was fantastic and well priced.  The Barony of the Steppes
> should
> >be, and has been, complemented on this year's 12th Night.
>
> In which case, I'm not quite sure where this rant began.

I don't have a problem with this year's 12th Night at Steppes.  I want
to point that out, since this thread started in the middle of discussing
their event.

I would like to thank everyone who has put such careful thought into how
we manage our budgets.  This discussion has been lively and
enlightening.  _BUT_, I still feel basically the same about price
gouging at events; I just have firmed up a number of qualifiers.  The
instances where I might suspect such activity are few and far between.
The end result, for me, from this discussion is now I'm considering
applying for a treasurer's position somewhere.  Maybe I'm seeking
justification.  Maybe it's just because I've gotten my curiosity piqued.

As if my curiosity had _nothing_else_ to do!

Ulf Gunnarsson
*---These are my opinions only, and not the opinions of my employers,
*---spouse, or family doctor.  So there.  Contents may settle during
*---shipping.  Send spelling complaints to ulf at urocor.com