ANST - Attention all would-be combat archers

Keith Hood jemuga at freewwweb.com
Mon Jan 19 01:57:59 PST 1998

>From Tomonaga:

I have roothed through a lot of stores in the Austin area and right
now the only store I know of in this area where such bows are likely to
be found is Gasman's Archery in San Antonio.  They usually have two or
three fiberglass recurves on hand at any given time.  Price should be
around $40.

I have also done some searching on the net, and here are some useful
URL's where you can mail-order bows that could be used in SCA combat:

	www.3riversarchery.com/youth.html
	BINGO!  Exactly what you're looking for.  Fiberglass, 60 inches
long, 30 pounds draw weight.  Price about $40.

	www.abilene.com/terrys.com/archery.html
	Couple of different models.  One is 60 inches long, 30-35 pounds,
fiberglass.

	http://orionarchery.com/youthbows.htm
	For the real combat archery fanatic.  30-pound recurves,
beautiful work, but they're laminated wood recurves.  They'll outrange a
fiberglass self bow but they're a lot more expensive and it wil break
your heart to have one stepped on.

A useful site for people looking for fiberglass arrows that can be made
into SCA war arrows:

	www.bowfishing.com
	They sell fiberglass fishing arrows--solid fiberglass shafts and
you can buy them in pieces or finished.  They'll sell fletched shafts
with no points ($3 if I remember right), shafts along without fletches
but tapered ready for putting on nocks ($1.95), fully assembled, or about
anything in between.  A fully assembled arrow with a basic fishing point
(which you would then cut off) costs about $4.00.  Call for quotes if you
want a particular combination.  770-387-9300