ANST - Coronation

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Tue Jan 20 10:54:07 PST 1998

---Dennis and/or Dory Grace <amazing at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Aquilanne here.
> I was talking with some folks this weekend on the perrenial
> (semi-perrenial? ;-> ) topic of time consumption in such
> functions as court and circles.

I think the term you are groping for is "eternal"...

<SNIP>
> mentioned that no real business was conducted, just an
> introductory, greeting-type circle. Anyone ever consider
> doing a joint peer circle for stuff like this? Or even the
> occassional joint peer circle to touch on concerns common to
> each separate circle, or even to give members of one peerage
> to bring up someone's name as a possible candidate for another
> circle or just to give a broader peer-perspective on the
> state-of-affairs, as it were? All peerages being,
> theoretically, equal, you know. What do
> folks think about that? Just curious.

 Aquilanne, IIRC there was some very heated discussion about a
portion of the concept you raise here in various fora (plural of
forum?) some months before I was aware of your arrival in Ansteorra.
The subject of one circle proposing candidates *formally* for the
consideration of another, to be exact. Much wailing and moaning and
clutching of perceived perquisites to the breast later, the general
tone of messages from most of the existing peers as *I* understood
the nature of things was along the lines of "How dare you as a
non-[Fill-In-The-Blank] peer presume to propose, nay, even to
suggest something to *our* [F-I-T-B] circle?"

I don't remember anyone raising the possibility of joint circles for
the "common concern" purposes you mention previously. At least not
as such. Neither do I recall mention of using joint sessions for
general introductions of the incoming Crown...

As far as "meet&greet" separate peerage circles, I have to raise the
question of whether or not there is any reason that those couldn't
or shouldn't have been handled as part of the several circles held
during the several months of the TRH time-frame, or during the
"outgoing" final circles just before step-down?

> PS--Yes, I know each peerage has its own list for talking
> about topics like this, but I'm just interested in hearing
> how folks on the average, peer or not, think about it.
> Inquiring minds, etc. ;->

As usual, mine gets me into trouble on a regular basis. Any special
knowledge you'd care to share in avoiding same? <gryn>
Thanks for asking the question in a general forum. I'm not the only
person outside the peerage circles who likes to think upon such
organizational matters.

Amra, not-a-Peer
bard & Bard
===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com