ANST - Adopt me - Rowan

Ghislaine Fontaneau/Elayne Hoover elyh at wcc.net
Mon Jan 19 20:10:43 PST 1998

> I know
> many people who are convinced that most other SCAers are
> all Christians at some level and are rabid against them, whereas
> my take has been of meeting far more Wiccans/neo-pagans/
> other alternative faiths who sort of assume that everyone in
> the SCA also practices some sort of alternative religion or else
> they'd be in church instead of at events on Sundays.

Then there are those who practice one religion in their modern lives,
yet their personna practices another religion.  I grew up protestant and
I have a Catholic personna.  I met someone once who talked about the fun
he was having as a modern Jew, playing a Catholic personna.  I have a
Christian friend who chose a pagan personna.

Like anything else, I prefer to see well-researched personnas.  If a
personna is a pagan-in-hiding in a Christian-dominant country, then that
person should not walk around at SCA events spouting, "Hi, I'm a
pagan!"  As for myself, as a French Catholic of the 16th century, I
naturally assume that everyone I meet is also Catholic (unless they are
a nasty Hugenot), and so I don't discuss it.  My personna simply takes
it for granted that these things go without saying; sometimes Ghislaine
gets so comfortable that she forgets her rosarie at home....

I support religious choice, and I applaud anyone who is personally or
personna-ly a pagan.  But like I said, please research it.  Don't just
dress in a middieval-ish manner and wear your modern, symbolic jewelry;
find out what a pagan in your chose time period would have worn and how
they might have behaved.

Ghia
--
mka: Elayne "Ely" Hoover