ANST - Help

P. Crandall Polk pcrandal at flash.net
Tue Jan 20 17:49:09 PST 1998

jackser at okway.okstate.edu wrote:
>      Could someone please send me privately the history of the sword of
>      state my email account recently was bombed and I lost a lot of my

HISTORY OF THE SWORD OF STATE OF ANSTEORRA
For the sake of brevity few titles acquired since this history are used.

PRELUDE:
Ansteorra, then being a principality of Atenveldt, yielded to its
neighbor principality Megan of Namron to be their Princess, and at that
time Orm went to the King of Atenveldt, who was Jonathan DeLaufyson,
saying that he desired to be wed to a princess of the realm.  The king
said if you do these deeds for me I shall promise you the hand of this
princess:  First, go to Al Barran.  There is a rock in an abbey there
which is the same rock that the kings of Atenveldt stand upon at
coronation, and the monks withhold it, for I have made them subject.
Bring me the rock.  Second, go to the Outlands and guard the princess
all the days that she is there.  And if I shall go to war, bring to my
aid military force.  And this Orm swore he would do, giving the king a
ring to show his intent.  And it came to pass that through great
hardship, danger and trial, each of these things were done, and Orm
returned from the Outlands three times bringing the rock, aid in war,
then the princess, when her reign was accomplished.
HOW THE RAVEN CAME TO SAIL
In the time of their reign in Atenveldt, Willow, Queen, gave to her
foster sons, Frea and Ivar of Namron, a ship, worthy of kings sons, and
they called it the Raven, and found hardy warriors to man her oars.
Later, on returning from the Outlands Orm, being seasoned in battle, was
called by the Raven captains to man her steer board.  Many months after,
Megan was called to pull an oar, being less seasoned, but hardy, quick
with spear, and tenacious; and Megan and Cyf were the only women ever to
row or fight on the ship Raven.
CREATION OF THE LIONS AND HOW ORM WAS MADE PREMIER
As Megan returned from the Outlands, Ansteorra became a kingdom.
Jonathan and Willow, who had been king and queen of Atenveldt ruled
first on the throne of Ansteorra.  Many deeds they did that strengthened
our kingdom, and became part of our oldest traditions, yet deeds were
done, too, by royalty and nobility alike, that brought harm.   The
kingdom was torn by strife.   Now sad times befell the new kingdom, and
actions were taken by many that all regretted later.  Ansteorra learned
to her sorrow that strength lay in unity, as outsiders came to impose
their will upon the kingdom.
In this time, as Jonathan and Willow made ready to leave the thrones to
their heirs, they created an order to embody the Spirit of values
cherished, that others in the kingdom might rally and follow their lead,
and this order they called the Lions of Ansteorra, Defenders of the
Dream.  For the first of this order they chose Orm Skjoldbidig, known as
the Red.  They retired, whereon  Lloyd and Jocelyn ascended the throne.
HOW MEGAN FOUND THE SWORD, THE RAVENS BOUGHT IT, AND ORM REFORGED IT
Now, Megan, returned to her lands, sought a gift for Ansteorra where she
was born.  She found a sword in the keeping of a man of  Atenveldt and
seeing that it was once well made by the force of hammer she asked its
history. This man said he had only just brought it from the desert of
Atenveldt, and told of how it had seen battle.  Megan thought it would
be a good sword if it could be worked, though it had taken grievous harm
in service.
At this time the kingdom was young and there was little that was used by
the king that was both a weapon and a symbol of state; and Megan thought
a symbol of unity would be good.  The sword could  be had, but at a
price in gold, so Megan went to the Ravens and told them what she found,
and what she foresaw could be the story of the sword, if it but could be
acquired.  Megan and Orm pledged half the sword's price, the Raven
captains Frea and Ivar just under a fourth each, and each of the
remaining Ravens including Richenda, Finn, Cyf, Edward the Proud, Morgan
the Grey, Red Malcom, and others, made up the balance.
Orm then took the blade into his hands, and under the starlight of the
realm he reforged  it and made it straight.
HOW ORM CLAIMED HIS BRIDE AND THE SWORD CAME TO THE KING
Now Orm took thought that he would claim his bride.  He gathered to
himself the Raven captains Frea and Ivar, and his kin and housecarls,
and came before the king who was on royal progress in his barony called
the Steppes. Without leave of herald straight from ship he came, and
asked the king for the hand of Megan, the king's kin who sat in court
beside him.  The king demanded by what reason he should deliver up the
chieftess.  Orm spoke of his tasks and Jonathan, duke, set forth how he
had pledged to Orm.  The bride price and matter of the bride's weapons
were settled, as is told elsewhere, but Lloyd asked what should be given
him for his part in this.  At this, Ivar stepped forth, and drew a red
cloak from his mailed fist in which he held a bare ebon blade, which the
king drew.
And Orm said "Take this oh king, as a wedding gift from me, and the crew
of the ship Raven, unto the Kingdom of Ansteorra, to stand and be used
as the sword of state."  And to this Lloyd agreed.
IVAR IS MADE LION
Their reign came to an end, and King Lloyd called Ivar to stand by Orm
and wear the badge of the White Lion.  Lloyd left the sword of state
with his crown upon the throne, and Jan became king, and took up both
crown and sword.
MEGAN IS MADE LION
In their time Jan and Kemreth ruled fairly, and there was prosperity and
laughter in their reign. When this was nearly at and end, Jan  gave
Megan a lion made all of silver, and brought her to stand by Orm and by
Ivar.  In this time Jan gave thought  it would be fitting that the Sword
of State be cared for by the Lions.
THE SWORD PASSES TO THE LIONS
Now at this time the Order of the Lions, Defenders of the Dream was very
small, being only Orm, Ivar and Megan, and these three sailed on the
ship Raven, and the sword was entrusted to the Raven crew for care.  In
the time of Sigmund and Sieglinde, the heirs of Jan and Kemrith, the
Raven was sailing often abroad, and it became difficult to tend the
sword for the king.  Megan thinking on Jan's words, sought with the
Raven crew that the sword might be given to the care of the Lions of
Ansteorra, for all the Lions were also Raven at that time.  To this the
Ravens agreed, having seen their names and a place of honor made for
their role in bringing the sword to the kingdom.
THE PLEDGE
Now Orm, Ivar and Megan went before Sigmund, king, and let it be known
that the Ravens tendered stewardship of the sword to the Lions of
Ansteorra.  They pledged, as Defenders of the Dream, to guard the sword
and the principles for which it stood, and received in pledge that  the
sword of state would remain their especial trust as the symbol of all
that the Lions guard, and that when the first sword was retired, it
should go to Orm and Megan's care, while the Lions, together, would
bring forth a new sword, in stewardship, as before.  These pledges, on
both sides, were renewed between the Lions and Finn Kelly O'Donnell who
followed Sigmund, and thereafter between the Lions and other
sovereigns.  However, as the order grew and became more widespread, this
knowledge was passed on less and less, until there came a time when the
pledge was forgotten and the kings knew not where the sword came from.
Neither so, did many lions know.
HOW THE LIONS UPHELD THEIR STEWARDSHIP
         Hrabia Jan was called to the company of the Lions, and at the
end of
Sigmund's reign  the Lions came forth together and Jan took the sword
from him, for the Lions to hold in that dangerous time when there is no
king.  And when the heir, Finn Kelly came forth, they challenged him,
and were satisfied of his answer.  So it was established that the Lions
would guard the sword as the chivalry guard the king's crown, and all
that the order was created to embody, the sword came to embody also.  At
times, so precious was the sword for what it symbolized, both the
Chivalry and the Royal Family tried to gain its stewardship from the
Lions, only to be reminded of the pledges of kings.
Four times did the sword return to the hand of Orm and Megan, for
renewal and care.  In that time Orm fashioned a scabbard, and twice
rewrapped the hilt; Megan etched  its pommel and scabbard ornaments; and
Orm's apprentice, Xylon, reworked  the pommel and quillions.  Each time,
the ebon finish was restored.  The sword was last cared for by all three
in the reign of Michael IV, and was passed from him to his heirs.
THIS IS THE STORY OF THE SWORD OF ANSTEORRA,  ITS TRADITIONS UNTIL THE
TIME OF ITS LOSS, THE PLEDGE OF THE LIONS AS STEWARDS, AND THE PLEDGE OF
THE KINGS REGARDING IT.