ANST - Re: Proposition: a Kingdom Business Meeting

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Thu Jan 22 10:01:35 PST 1998

Hi, Berengaria again:

> <snip>
> >Also, why do you have a Knight Marshal meeting and a Marshal's
> >Class?  Are these not pretty much the same thing?
> >
> >Rumil
>

> Actually they are different.  Marshalling on the field is not the
> same as handling all  the Knight Marshal's activities for a group.
> Additionally, there are many marshals who are not Knight Marshals
> (or Regional/Kingdom).

Sorry for the "me too" thing, but providing training for new marshals
(my interpretation of "Marshal's Class") and discussing
administrative problems, authorizations, new weapons authorizations,
or things of this ilk are different.  So also might be a Quarter
Court, where you might want to involve your heavy people, your
fencing people, your archery people and your siege weapon people
(if you have all of these categories).  You could possibly run all of
these activities as a "track" and have them segue one into another.

> As to this "business" meeting, I think it's a good idea, but these
> times that are being bantered about are not at all realistic.  And
> as more "classes" are offered, this becomes more a Collegium than a
> business meeting.  Save the Collegium classes for Winterkingdom and
> other similar regional events, and keep the business meetings for
> GOoFs, Peers and "polling" Grant level awards (Centurions and White
> Scarves).  Possibly also for Warlords and other necessary reign
> meetings.  While one group is occupied with the Crown, have the
> other groups get together for joint-meetings.  This seems to be the
> best way to "get down to business" and still solve communication
> problems.

since I don't live in Ansteorra, Talen's lost me on the discussion of
other appropriate times for "Collegium style" classes.  there's a
certain amount of grey area between classes and meetings.  One
of the more useful, in terms of reviews by the participants, "get
togethers" that happened at StagsCon was the gathering of
seneschals and exchequers to go over new financial and alcohol
policies.  There was an element of training here, but also an element
of meeting at a time when there weren't seventeen other things going
on at an event that would likely pull some of these people away, and
they seemed to appreciate the opportunity to focus and ask questions
until understanding was achieved.

I can see not wanting the event to become overloaded in its early
stages, but--just a suggestion--I wouldn't totally put up firewalls
against synergies that might develop.

Berengaria
Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
Barony of Caerthe
Kingdom of the Outlands