ANST - Puters

cougar17 at swbell.net cougar17 at swbell.net
Fri Jan 23 00:24:23 PST 1998

Just found out something the hard way. This applies only to those of us
who use computers, no-one else. Especially those who do not own or use
computers, should disregard this! :)

It is a very BAD idea to seperate the video card from the mother board
while the machine is running. I just wanted to get the code number off
of the microchip, so I could download the proper driver for it.....lost
my CMOS, and re-set my puter to Jan 1 1980. I re-set the Cmos using auto
detect IDE, and it was no big deal, I was able to access c: and found
that I had not lost anything....but it was scarey!! I did not disconnect
the video card, mearly pushed it aside to get a view of the number I
needed. According to a friend of mine that is the VP of a local computer
sales/service/parts company, I seperated the connection between the
video card and the motherboard, while the puter was "on." I know this is
off topic, but wanted to pass it on. I never knew that doing that..could
do so much damage. Lesson learned.

						Cougar!!