ANST - Digital Hiring Faires

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Fri Jan 23 05:10:05 PST 1998

Gunnora postulated:

> If we had an on-line "Hiring Faire" we might could match artists and
> patrons.
> I'd be more than willing to trade skills or even pay to obtain the
> types of
> artisan skills I need!

Many of our populace are not on-line (and those who are spend all their
free time reading mailing lists).  This will limit the effectiveness of
your proposal.  I know, I know, they could work through friends' email
accounts, but a majority of the people will never hear of this job
faire.  Unless you advertise its presence in the kingdom newsletter
every few months.

It is not a bad idea.  It could make the difference with some college
students I have known, as to whether or not they get to go to an event.
If their employer/patron is paying their site fee and feeding them, they
might be able to get a ride to the event.  That's one form of payment in
kind.  Additionally it engenders trans-branch interaction and inspires
artistic endeavors.

As a side note, this could be combined with the concept of fosterage.
Say you "hire" a seamstress.  She will need to fit you.  Invite her to
stay at your house for the weekend.  Tell her to bring her sewing
machine.  The two of you shop for fabric that morning. This gives you
the opportunity to find out her likes and dislikes for later gifts.
Spend the weekend making a dress.

She gets room and board for the weekend, plus maybe some fabric.  You
get a dress, and are out the cost of materials and some food.  In the
non-materialistic sense,  you get the reputation of open-handedness, and
she gets the word fame of having spent the weekend sewing under
Gunnora's roof.

I know I'm moving away from the "digital" part of the topic, but when I
get a synaptic connection, it's better to just go with it...

Ulf Gunnarsson
*---These are my opinions only, and not the opinions of my employers,
*---spouse, or family doctor.  So there.  Contents may settle during
*---shipping.  Send spelling complaints to ulf at urocor.com