ANST - Puters

Harmosk Harmosk at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 10:14:06 PST 1998

<< For computer maintenance: turn everything off and unplug it to
 make sure.  There's the risk of frying the computer, and there's
 the risk of frying *you*.

 Better would be to wear a grounding strap, available at some
 electronics places.  This is not to protect against current
 flow.  (Indeed, I imagine it would be bad if you touch a live
 wire with your right hand and have grounded your left wrist --
 current will flow across your chest more easily.)  It is
 to prevent static charge from building up.  A tiny shock
 can destroy a chip.

 Sorry for the digression. >>

Very good advice, *except* leave the computer plugged in, but turned off.
There is a ground wire that uses the ground of the plug, and it's much better
for your computer if this stays grounded. You're not in any danger of
electrical shock unless you're in the bathtub ::winks:: or messing with the
power supply (don't).

One thing I didn't mention. All the adults in my house are computer
technicians :), if you need any help, drop us a line.

Sarah