ANST - Re: Thee/Thine

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Sun Jan 25 01:06:07 PST 1998

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace wrote, in gracious response to my comment about
"thee" as an Anglo/Saxon's perfomrance error:

> Sounds reasonable to me, but I'd pick up a copy of Sweet's _Anglo-Saxon
> Primer_ or Bright's _Old English Grammar and Reader_ for guidance on
> pronunciation.  The Anglo-Saxon pronouns of which you speak are not
> pronounced like their modern English equivalents.

Know offhand where I can get one? I haven't been able to find it in any
of the local bookstores, so I've been relying on some online resources
(which appear to be quite good, for example,
http://www.kami.demon.co.uk/gesithas/OEsteps/pronounc.html)  My take is
that <{th}a>, the second person pronoun, is prounounced "thuh," like the
Modern English definite article.

Anyway, thank you very much for your time and response.

AElfwyn