ANST - Cloved Fruit and Etiquette, Redux

Lord Larkin O'Kane larkin at webstar.net
Tue Jan 27 10:37:57 PST 1998

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 01:09:12 -0600, Gunnora Hallakarva <gunnora at bga.com>
wrote:

>The problem here is not lack of courtesy or peerage qualities on the part
>of the person hurling the cloved fruit.  Rather, it is the unspeakable
>stupidity and lack of grace and politeness on the part of the person who
>bestowed the fruit on the hurler in the first place.  Those of us who will
>hurl the damned things do try to refuse the fruit politely first.

This is the first time anyone has mentioned hurling the fruit as a
response to boorish behavior.  ALL of the other posts suggest that it is
the standard response to being offered cloved fruit.

<SNIP>

>Now, I don't know what response YOU would like to see a peer (or anyone
>else, for that matter) make to sexual predation and abuse of one's personal
>space,

I would expect that peer (or anyone else, for that matter) to slap a
face, scream or whatever it takes to get the attention of those who are
conducting the event and have the boor expulsed.  Just like you would if
no cloved fruit were involved.

>As I have mentioned before, kissing games should be played ONLY with one's
>intimates -- that means your friends, your household members, people who
>you know will welcome the game.  If you just absolutely MUST force your
>attentions on a stranger, it is your responsibility to be as gallant and
>courtly as possible, and to accept NO as NO and leave it at that.

AGREED!

>Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)
>
>::GUNNORA::

Larkin