ANST - dead traditions

dssweet at okway.okstate.edu dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Jan 27 07:15:51 PST 1998

Joanna wrote:

>By the way, even if "Hole in the Wall" has been done to death, please
>have pity on beginners and those of us with two right feet (a little
>"sinister" humor there) who are actually only capable of that one.  It is
>easy to teach to beginners, and I have many fond memories of "stealing"
>partners.  Okay, so I'm old, but I even remember some "strip the Willow"
>marathons that were really fun!  One of these was at TYC.  (Yes,
>Virginia, I was there way back then.)  These are the dances that the
>prancin' , dancin' Master Giles Hill of Sweetwater started with, and look
>at him now!

 Two points: 1) Hole in the Wall is *not* that easy of a dance to teach
                to beginners. There are many far simpler dances out
                there. If you can do HITW, you can do probably another
                20-30 dances easy.

             2) How do I say this.....hmmmm, let's just say I don't hear
                the fighters clamoring to go back to freon helms and
                carpet armor. They have evolved the sport (for lack of a
                better term before 9am) and developed better, safer (&
                sometimes more authentic looking) armor requirements (&
                fighting styles). I transpose this to dance. Back in the
                good old days we danced certain dances because that was
                all we had. As the years have passed, more research has
                been done on dances and dancing. There are now better (&
                more authentic) dances to be done. Let dancing evolve
                back to a truly renaissance repertoire without
               including dances from the 18th, 19th & 20th centuries.

     Estrill
     Tanzelehrerin
     (I have further parallels between fighting & dancing - it's really
      amazing how similar they are.)

     "Never hire a ferret to do a weasel's job." Louie the Lizard