ANST - previous threads ... keltoi / religion / holy-days

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Tue Jan 27 15:06:05 PST 1998

/Jodi McMaster wrote:
/>
/> At 12:45 PM 1/23/98 -0800, Cougar wrote:
/>
/> >Anyhoo, I personally know some wiccans, and they don't talk about it
/> >much, but I wonder if the people I know, are aware of the history of
/> >thier belief. It is VERY old, has an extensive history, and shaped the
/> >way we all are today.
/>
/> I'd quibble with this statement to this extent--modern Wiccans are
/> generally structuring their practices and beliefs on a resurrected version
/> of the historical Wicca.
/

In a lot of ways Wicca and other "pagan" religions are revivalists of what
they can discern of ancient practices. Others just follow what the "popular
culture" determines they should and --yet others follow what their hearts, minds
and spirits feel is right for them. In theory, in some traditions there is
a long line of history and structure but most of it showed itself in local
customs and traditions and was overcast with other religious symbolism.
Wicca is just way too broad a term. It is like saying someone is a "christian"
--similar general beliefs, similar ways of practice but there is a vast
difference between Catholicism and "Snake Handling" and someone who generally
belives in Christ but doesn't really "practice".

/*snip*
/>
/> AElfwyn
/
/I should hope so.  Unfortunately, many "Wiccans" I know personnaly have
/only gone so far as to dress in certain colors, buy certain jewelry, and
/announce their new religious beliefs to anyone who will stand still.

Been there done that. Still dress in black (I've always liked it and I
am a bit on the chubby side .... in theory it's supposed to slim you down...
then agian it might be from my association with other deviant (different from
the status quo) sub-cultures). Haven't worn a pentagram in years, it's way too
hermetic, and christian for me. But then again I've never liked trite symbols
or other people's labels.

/Unfortunately, they can't answer questions about the ideals of Wicca,
/the history of Wicca, the origins of their ceremonies, symbolism,
/etc....
/
/I am, on the whole, extremely dissappointed with modern Wiccans.  But
/I'd love for someone to prove me unfairly biased...
/
/Ghia

Sounds like you have come across many "new" converts or others who need to
prove to themselves and others that they have made the right choices.

Much like any newly converted people they want everyone to be able to
experience what they have found.

I'm sure there are many ffolkes around you who live their beliefs rather
than just speak of them who consider them selves wiccan/pagan/etc.
You just don't see them because they don't "shout it".

Lorraine DeerSlayer