ANST - Dance (was-dead traditions)

dssweet at okway.okstate.edu dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:48:11 PST 1998

katriana wrote:
>As far as I know, one of the best SCA dance manuals is still the Rose &
>Nefr, which is available from several SCA merchants, as well as directly
>from the publisher (they usually have an ad in TI).
<and snipped good primary sources - Arbeau, Caruso, Playford>

     Here's some further sources on music that is commercially
available. This is taken from several posts on the most useful CDs for
dancing masters on the SCA-Dance list.

***1. Arbeau's Orchesographie, by The New York Renaissance Band
          Just what it says, danceable music! Must have!
   2. English Country Dances, by The Broadside Band
***3. Country Capers, by The New York Renaissance Band
          #1 English Country Dance CD! All 1st Edition Playford.
***4. Mesura et Arte del Danzare, by Accademia Viscontea i Musicanti
          Must have for Italian Dance.
   5. Il Ballarino, by The Broadside Band
***6. Dance From the Inns of Court, by Jouissance
          Almans by SCA-folk! see below for ordering information.
   7. Balli e Balletti da Ballare, by Fonti Musicali
   8. Dances, by Calliope
 **9. Silence is Deadly, by The Waits of Southwark
          "Rowdy" music! It's loud!
  10. La cour du Roi Rene, by Ensemble Perceval
**11. Danses Populaires Francaises, by The Broadside Band
          Alternative Arbeau and some Playford dances.
  12. Forse Che Si, Forse Che No, by the Ferrara Ensemble
  13. Popular Tunes in 17th Century England - Broadside Band
  14. dance!, by Renaissonics.
  15. A la Via!, by Medievales de Quebec (Strada/Ensemble Anonymous)
  16. Between the Lines, by On The Mark

      The rest of the above cds are useful, but only certain tracks, not
like the ones marked *** which are useful in the entirety. If anyone
wants any further information on these cds, I'll see what I can send
you. About half of my stuff I've gotten from Pegasus Music and the other
half from local stores. However, my accomplice in dancing, Guillaume,
has ordered most of the above cds over the internet. So the pre-recorded
music is out there to be had, now that everyone knows what to look for.

     If you want local musicians to play for dancing, I recommend that
they get Master Avatar's Music book. It is what almost all the musicians
in the kingdom use. I'm sure someone else on the list could provide
contact info on that.

     You wouldn't think I was a dancing fanatic, now, would you?

     Estrill
     (now let's all go dance this weekend at either wInterkingdom or
     Candlemas)

PS - Contact information on the Dances From the Inns of Court: