ANST - Authenticity on the Field

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Jul 1 13:28:59 PDT 1998

>This has two sides to it as do all stories.  Would it be fare to have a
>new, inexperinced fighter taken off the feild because his armour is not
>up to "snuff".  What if he/she doesn't sew well and is too new/timid to
>ask for help in making a tabbard?  On the other hand it would not hurt
>my feelings for a fighter who has been in for years but is unwilling
>[KEYWORD being "unwilling"] to cover his trash bits up to be removed.
>If a person has been in fro  years they *IMO* should strive to better
>themselves.

Whoa!  We already have certain minimal requirements as to protective armor,
and we do not let a fighter on the field without that minimum armor.

I really think we *should* require better appearance on the field. If it's
a requirement that you must have before you can fight, even the newcomers
will get better looking armor or better cover-ups for ugly armor.  After
all, it's much more difficult and expensivefor an average person to get a
helmet made than to create a $5 tabard!

The Principality of Northshield's current Prince decreed that at the
Coronet Tourney that all fighters must document their appearance.  Not that
it had to be perfectly period, but to state what time and place they were
aiming for and to justify any deviations ("I'm using plastic plates in my
brigandine to save money")

Many people will *only* rise to the minimum standard - we've found this
with school children.  Expect more and amazingly enough, they give more.

If you don't *require* some attempt at period appearance on the field (the
stick) then reward lavishly those who *do* make the effort (the carrot).
This won't work as well as requiring period appearance, but would certainly
encourage it!!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)