ANST - Giving Awards to SCA Youth

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Fri Jul 3 08:30:42 PDT 1998

I am appalled that some groups won't recommend a youth for awards - that's
a problem with the *local group* not the Crown or the kingdom!  Dust those
prejudices off and put 'em by the curb  for the garbage collector - you can
recommend *ANYBODY* for *ANY* award that you think that they have earned!
Ulrica, why should your child have to wait for more awards?!  Recommend
them for *what they have done*!!!  Just like you would an adult!!

I know that children *can* and *do* function as well or better than some
adults in the SCA, because Bjornsborg has always been blessed with amazing
kids - Master Ivar's children (all grown now) come immediately to mind.  I
remember when some officious visiting adult was complaining because the
boys (still about 4 ft tall or less) had real, live, sharp swords.  Ivar
listened to the fellow's complaint, and calmly explained that the boys had
earned the right to the swords because they knew how to act like adults,
and that *he* trusted them to use the swords appropriately if the need
arose (the look in Ivar's eyes kind of suggested that he hoped the kids
might find a good, adult reason to use the swords on this whiner - but of
course, they didn't.)

These same kids held baronial offices - I think it was Ivar's daughter who
was our Minister of Children from about the time she was in first grade.
She was one of the *best* MoC's I've ever seen, too - like any other
officer, she recruited folks to help her when she needed it, and she
personally put together activities for kids at events that actually were of
interest to the kids.  Amazing concept there - ask an expert as to what
kids would like!  Who would know better than another kid?

And all the kids were worth about three adults in set-up and tear-down --
all that extra energy coming in handy while the adults were moving half
their speed and wheezing.  And you didn't have to ask them to help, like
any other adult in the SCA, they pitched in to make the event better.

Since we had children functioning as adults, we never hesitated about
giving them adult awards - they got Rising Stars, all right, and AoA's, and
Cranes, and I don't know what else, but the awards were entirely
appropriate to the work that they were doing!

I wouldn't have any problem with making a Laurel who was a youth, so long
as they had mastery of their art and the type of emotional maturity that we
hope for in a peer.  And I think that there's absolutely no reason NOT to
give service and arts awards to kids of any age who are doing the work!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)