ANST - Re: How important is fighting?

Helen and Bennie Brown browns at mail.intplsrv.net
Mon Jul 6 23:46:23 PDT 1998

> Date:          Mon, 06 Jul 1998 02:18:26 -0500
> From:          Russell <russmax at cowboy.net>
> Subject:       Re: ANST - How important is fighting?
<snip>
> Also, in the larger baronies, the age limit isn't really a problem. However,
> in many of the smaller groups, there are sometimes only a couple of fighters,
> and also a couple of 16 & 17 yr old fighter wannabes. If this age were allowed
> to just practice, it would help chivalric combat in these groups--even if they
> weren't allowed on the list field until 18.
<snip>
> Lord Guillaume

We were fortunate when Gorm (age 15) and I joined the SCA and started
attending the Barony of Eldern Hills meetings, traveling 120 miles a
week to do so (before we had enough members here to start the
Stronghold).  Lord Jean de Savigny was Seneschal of the Barony at the
time and also traveled to the Barony from Altus with his family.  He
took an interest in training Gorm and held "backyard" practices,
teaching light fighting along with chivalry, court etiquette, etc.
Since these were not "official" practices, he could do this.  Gorm
got his first sword and helm for light fighting for his 16th birthday
or was it Christmas that year.  HL Bernard joined our group before
Gorm turned 18 and continued the "backyard" practices along with Ld
Jean, teaching Gorm the basics of heavy fighting.  Gorm bought his
heavy helm and armor from Duke Inman, with our help, for his 18th
birthday and started fighting in the lists.  Then he outgrew his helm
and got a job and started spending more time with "the ladies" at
events and the lists and fighting became secondary for him.  He now
has a helm that fits and is talking about getting back in the lists.

Without Ld Jean and HL Bernard (and Sir Daffyd at events and demos
continuing some of the training), taking an interest in this "CHILD",
he would soon have lost interest, I believe.  He did enjoy Heralding
with the Barony and pitched in right from the start doing everything
he could to help at Baronial events and meetings from setup to tear
down, to camp Heralding, to serving feast, to water bearing, to
fetching and carrying for everybody that asked and didn't ask but
needed help (and continues all of this with the Stronghold),
but.....the "sword" fighting was his passion from the start.

Gorm continues the tradition that Ld Jean started with him and does
"backyard" practices, teaching any of our members who are interested
in the light fighting ("the ladies", their mother, HL Cherel, and
everyone else who wants except me and I'm not interested in
fighting).

If they're interested in something, find someone to teach them, even
if you need to find someone in another group.  It does not have to be
"official" practices, but they can be instructed individually and
told to watch the official practices and event lists to learn what
they can before they "come of age".

My opinions only.  Thanks for listening, er, reading.

Helen Brown
HL Hellen Bales MacQueene
Stronghold of FalconRidge, Kingdom of Ansteorra
browns at intplsrv.net
Altus, Oklahoma