ANST - How important is fighting?!

Laury Torrence J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 7 10:10:18 PDT 1998

Gee, I've been quiet for several days now so I thought I
might put my 2 cents worth in on this topic!

When I found the SCA, one of the things that was of interest
to me was the fighting.  After attending several fighter practices,
and trying on a set of shoulder/arm armor and handed a shield,
I decided I'd rather fight light myself. (I tipped over!)

But despite the fact that I haven't fought in quite
some time, the reason fighting is so attractive to me still
remains.  I don't know about anyone else, but it's terribly
romantic.....to watch (the reality of getting whupped with
rattan is something else altogether).  Watching tourneys
and fighter practice is evocative of all the books we've read,
or movies we've seen, or just our imaginations.  And there's
a little kernel of that romantic ideal in (nearly) all of us that
it appeals to.
Besides the allowing us to get out certain aggressive ya-ya's in
a prescribed, and relatively "safe" manner.  And the added
enticement of the possibility of winning fame for onesself just
makes it more fun.  Oh yeah, and if you do really good, and get
a bit lucky, you could possibly win the tourney and get even more
notoriety (and goodies)!  And let's be honest, who doesn't like a
bit of renown?!  Soooooo.....I suppose fighting is important for many
reasons, one of which might be, that in spite of the interest A&S draws,
and it's appeal to a broad(er) range of people, fighting in the SCA
(both styles) grabs us by our adrenal glands, and appeals to an even wider
audience on a basic level.

HE Caterina
je suis le tenebreux