ANST - Scribal history

Leslie Miller Miller at pp.okstate.edu
Fri Jul 17 08:45:09 PDT 1998

It seems to me that at some point in the past there was an
organized college of scribes in Ansteorra, or at least something
similar.  I know that other kingdoms have such things, yet I haven't
really seen any evidence of kingdom-wide organization here in recent
years.

I've had requests from four different groups up here in the North to
do calligraphy/illumination/scroll painting classes for them in the
past 9 months or so, and it seems to me that there is a terrible lack
of active scribes/teachers in general (at least around here).

So I have several questions...

Does/did Ansteorra have a college of scribes?

How was it organized?

Why does it no longer seem to exist? (Is there a good reason? Do
things work better now without it?)

How do other kingdoms organize their scribes?

Is there a demand in other parts of the kingdom for scribes and
people to teach calligraphy and illumination?

I would like to start a discourse on this subject, but I confess that
I'm really quite ignorant about it.

Gunhilda