ANST - tangent on rider/warrior thread

ulrica ulrica at lx.net
Wed Jul 1 07:31:26 PDT 1998

Branwen wrote:

>I agree that some are lost and probably will not be brought back into
>"society."  What if we tried to help before they became gang members?  I'm
sure
>there are many kids out there that are border line.  Maybe if we went
through an
>organization like Big Brothers/Sisters, there would be a better chance of
>preventing the whole gang thing.  School counselors would be a great way to
>point kids toward the SCA into a "mentoring program."  That would also take
some
>parental involvement, which I believe many gang members don't have.

I am a school counselor and I would have to think VERY carefully about that.
It is a major committment from the men and ladies involved.  You have to
sign up for like 2 years and agree to see your student once a
week...providing all the $$ involved.  I set them up all the time thru that
agency and the vast majority don't last six months before throwing up their
hands.  Don't mean to be a wet blanket, just truthful.

Ulrica