ANST - cochineal

Amberglyph at aol.com Amberglyph at aol.com
Sun Jul 5 18:43:48 PDT 1998

nweders at mail.utexas.edu writes:

<< scrape them off into a
 zip log bag.  If you squish any you see bright magenta red.  When you've
 gotten enough and you take them home you will need to roast them (alive) in
 your oven.  Put them in a pan and crank up the over to about 450.  Not a
 low oven or they will crawl around trying to find a way out.   Watched a
 friend do this with interesting results.... >>

Can you microwave the little devils?  At least enough to kill them?  Or else,
how do you get them out of the bag without escapees?  I've taken great pains
to stomp out the indigenous wildlife and I don't want to import any.

Oriana Corbizzi