ANST - Re: Amtgard vs. the SCA

Russell Kinder russmax at cowboy.net
Thu Jul 2 16:09:43 PDT 1998

Alan J. Boertjens wrote:

> In summary, I think this is a non-issue, and we should just leave
> things the way they are.  Active recruitment for the Amtgard teens
> will be bad in the long run, because of the points in the above
> paragraph as well as drawing fire from the entire Amtgard populace
> in general.
>
> In service for The Dream,
> ~Ld.Johan Bjornsson

Personally, I find your attitude alarming.

It sounds like you don't care if we lose our teens to other groups. And
just what is wrong with providing a way for teens to begin combat style
activities?

I can't see how active recruitment of teens will be bad in the long run.
In the short run, there may be some minor difficulties of the type you
mention, but our current waiver system and alcohol policies should
suffice to cover us.

It's not like we're trying to recruit folk away from Amtgard, it's more
like we want to make it desirable enough for teens in the SCA to stay.
And those making a choice might be more likely to choose us.

Lord Guillaume