ANST - Giving Awards to SCA Youth

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Mon Jul 6 08:25:27 PDT 1998

At 05:00 PM 7/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 03:40 PM 7/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>The problem, however is bigger than a group sometimes.  Like, hypothetically
>>speaking, of course:-), whena kingdom seneschal tells you don't bother
>putting
>>them in for an award, they are too young in his opinion.
>

>Except that the kingdom seneschal has very little say in who does or
>doesn't get awards.
>
>If the local baron or seneschal, and several people from the kid's local
>group send in recommendations, I would think the Crown would at least look
>into the matter *despite* the kingdom seneschal's opinions. I can
>understand being cautious--I recall a kid who was around 1 or 2 being given
>an AoA many years ago. (It was basically a "cookie" for her mother, the kid
>wasn't even old enough to know what was going on.) But I haven't seen
>another such bad example in a *long* time.
>
>	-Tivar Moondragon

I protest!!! Use some other office as the example next time.  I already
have enough slings and arrows coming my way :)

Seriously, this topic comes up from time to time.  The only real problem I
see from giving awards to youths is that many of them drop out within 2
years of getting involved.  You just have to balance the need to recognize
good work with the possibility that the person my decide that High School
activities are more important next month and disappear for a long time.  We
always charge our award recipients with furthering the work that got them
the award, this is hard if they drop out.  I am not saying that you should
not give youths awards, I am just saying that you must consider it hard
before you do it.  Also, this is one of the reasons that the rising star
was created.

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald
Kingdom Seneschal for Ansteorra
Baron of Wiesenfeuer