ANST - Kids with Boffers

Casey&Coni cjw at vvm.com
Tue Jul 14 14:14:02 PDT 1998

Burke wrote, quite a while back:
>I guess I need to jump in here.  The current policy concerning combat with
>any weapons (including boffer) is an outgrowth of various policies that
>have been sent down from Corp. over the years and internal reviews of
>Oklahoma and Texas laws.

*snip*

Okay, I need some clarity here so I can start working this from my end.  I
need to know which policies you're talking about.  What sections of Corpora
*exactly*?  Or is it in the Guidelines?  In addition, if this has been
*formally* addressed before, I'm going to need to know which Oklahoma and
Texas laws (statute number etc.) that are giving us the problems.  If this
information is in your hands, could you please send it to me?

*snip*

At one point the Society Marshall ruled that any
>kind of contact combat that happened in the SCA, must be with approved
>weapons only.  Since only rattan and rapier weapons are approved, this
>effectively killed any other type of combat.

*snip*

If this is the case, I need to know *exactly* what the process is for
proposing a new weapon type.  I'm more than a bit curious how other kingdoms
have gotten around this, but I will track down that information on my own.

*snip*

 Add to that the Texas law
>that says that anyone can sue on a minor's behalf even if they are not
>related to that minor, and you get our current policy.

*snip*

Again, I will need to know if this is a Texas law only (in which case boffer
in Oklahoma should be perfectly legal) and also, what law it is.

*snip*

I am aware that a
>number of Kingdoms do allow different types of combat, that is their
>concern.
>I will be willing to review any reasonable proposal to change our current
>rules.  It will of course have to be approved by the various appropriate
>SCA officials and the Crown before it is put into policy.
>

>Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald
>Kingdom Seneschal for Ansteorra

YAY!!  Burke is willing to give it a looksee!

Okay, Sir Burke, I'm getting it rolling but need a little help from you
along the way.

On behalf of the wee folk,

Dieterich