ANST - Webs and Chronicles and Cash

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 22 07:19:23 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

I'm trying to send this again because the first post did not include the
entire message.  Sorry about that.

Pug posted:
>  The Virtual Scribes' Handbook can currently be found at:
>
>http://southern.ansteorra.org/vscribe.html

I looked over the site--nice work, Pug, as always--and I was reminded of
a point of confusion from many years ago (man, when I go off on a
tangent I...oh, wait, that's another tangent).

I remember once--way back when I was a landed baron a billion miles from
here--we had a little temporary financial difficulty with our
newsletter.  Our chronicler--an enterprising youngster--decided to take
matters into her own hands.  She arranged for the local Tandy Leather
store to run an ad with us.  Of course, the Kingdom Chronicler
immediately informed us that she was *not* allowed to do that.  We found
other ways to address our problem, but I had intended to look into that
bizarre regulation when time allowed.  Then I forgot.

Now, Pug's publication of the Virtual Scribe's handbook tells me:

Since paid and non-paid advertisements are not allowed, direct links to
merchants, companies, etc., are not permitted. A careful inspection of
websites requested to be linked up should be made to help ensure that
they are not a merchant nor attempting to avoid this limitation in any
manner.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Well, I thought, I wonder if this is an outgrowth of the same old rule?
So I checked the Ansteorra Kingdom Chronicler's Handbook and found this:

Monitoring of Local Branch Newsletters--Innapropriate Inclusions:
8) Paid advertisement (only Corporate publications such as Kingdom
newsletters and Tournaments Illuminated can accept paid advertisements).

9) Non-paid advertisements. Event announcements, notices of revels,
parties and nonofficial events are acceptable. Advertisements that are
not directly Society related are not acceptable.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

AFter looking at that, I started wondering, does anyone actually have
any rational explanation for such things?  I mean, I've seen SCA groups
do all sorts of screewball things to make money, why is advertising such
a bugbear?  So, I went to the highest source, hoping to find some
logical resolution.

According to the Society Chronicler's Publications Policy (located at
http://www.sca.org/officers/chronicler/policy.html and last updated
3/19/98):

It is the policy of the Society that, due to the complexity of Internal
Revenue Service regulations, local newsletters cannot accept paid
advertising for publication in their newsletters. Individuals may,
however, sponsor pages within the newsletter, and may have a brief
announcement of that sponsorship listed either on that page or elsewhere
within the newsletter.
<<<<<<<<<<<

Note:  the Society pubs policy statement does *not* limit the use of
advertising to "Corporate publications."  That statement is either
something we came up with ourselves or an item nested in some obscure
Society Exchequer's document (I know Mistress Catherine Angelique is on
the Pelican list, which is one of many reasons I've posted this missive
there as well).

Okay, I'll readiily admit that I'm no financial wizard.  I have a
tendency to fall asleep anytime anyone uses the words "principle" and
interest in the same sentence. Nonetheless, this claim in the Society
Chronicler's policy sounds like a lot of hooey to me.  How does running
an ad in a local newsletter present any more challenge for IRS reporting
than holding a garage sale?

I think we're missing out on some golden opportunities here--especially
for the Kingdom website. Understand, of course, I only want to address
*appropriate* advertising (for which the Society policy page provides
more than adequate guidelines).

Whaddy'all think?

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace, Capitan