ANST - Champion of Glaslyn

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jul 27 15:51:55 PDT 1998

Good Day,

As Barbara, er....Aelfr...damn! ALYS, stated there were many BOK champions
who chose an interesting Bear Pit scenario. The first two or three BOK's
were Swiss 5 and the rest were Bear Pits with the two top scores fighting
it out for the prize. I believe the main reason for this was the relatively
small turnout for these lists. If a double-elim tourney had been presented
it would have been over within an hour. But this allowed fighters to continue
until exhausted (often after a certain time had expired the fighters were not
allowed to use shields) and it also had the thrill of a "Final Round".

A Pas d'Armes could have been fun but since it was a small shire and had limited
numbers of attendees something like this may or may not have worked.

The shire competition was usually small but loads of fun for all attendees.
My opinion is that it was one of the most enjoyable events in Ansteorra. And
the list of Champions is indeed impressive. It includes Don Miguel, Duke Inman,
Count Mahdi among others. Entrants have included Count Sutan, Master Robin, Baron
Drake and Viscount Galen.

I understand the desire to have different style tournaments, especially more
period styles, and for a small group to aspire to putting on a good show is
laudable. But they should either have some help, have extremely knowledgable
and talented people within the shire, or host a few "normal" tournies first to
get the feel for things.

Look for someone drinking from a neon yellow mug proudly proclaiming they are
either a Champion, Cavalier, Huntsman, or Artisan of Black Oak Keep and ask
them for a story. We're all proud of our ugly yellow mugs.

Yers,

Gunthar
Premier Champion of Black Oak Keep