ANST - King's Battle Ribbon, Gulf Wars & Principalities

Talen von Marienburg talen at microtutors.com
Mon Jun 1 16:08:21 PDT 1998

In addition to the awards given out at Castellan on Saturday evening, there
was an another award on Sunday.

His Royal Majesty Jean-Richard bestowed the King's Battle Ribbon on both
Northkeep and Mooneschadowe for the second time.  Again they will have the
honor of bearing the Standard into battle at the next Gulf Wars.

These units were commanded by Hersir Thorgrim Bjornson and Centurion
Treschen von Asselen, respectively, and they both fought under the banner of
the Northern Region led by myself.  I am very proud of their accomplishments
these past two years, and just as proud of the other units that fought with
the region.

When the battles were done, I counted 59 fighters under the Northern Banner.
Troops from Northkeep, Mooneschadowe, Eldern Hills, Namron, Wiesenfeuer and
Brad Leah.  I estimate another 25 Northern fighters fought with House
Wolfstar, bringing the Northern contribution to the war effort of
approximately 84 fighters.  With the large number of volunteer hours by the
non-combatants & the works of our artisans and rapier fighters, the North,
in my opinion, was the backbone of the entire War.

I am proud to be from the Northern Region, but I am just as proud to be
Ansteorran.  A strong region makes a stronger kingdom.  Combining the
fighters and artisans with the unsung non-combatant heroes, I think the
North accounted for half the war effort.  One region of five.

I know that the principality issue has become a very real possibility, and
possibly for more than one principality in the kingdom.  I think growth is
good, even though it also brings growing pains, and it may be time for the
kingdom to take that next step.  But I would caution those who are looking
at moving this forward quickly - it has taken me two years to take a region
that was already fairly homogeneous and bring about a truly regional army,
and that just barely since two of our baronies could only muster units of
four fighters this year (as opposed to zero last year).  Yes, we work well
together.  We play well together.  We sometimes even act like a unified
group.  And we've been doing this for a long time.

What is it going to be like when a "new" principality is formed from groups
that are currently in different regions?  Do you think that you can work
together as a unified group right away?  I advise move slowly.  Petition to
redraw the regions with groups that want to be part of a principality
grouped together.  See if you can work together.  Then do it for awhile.
The more you play and work together the more you'll begin to think alike.
Hold regional events.  Travel to tournaments in your region (as well as in
the kingdom).  These are your neighbors we're talking about.  Can you work
with them.  Do you even like them?  If it works, then take the next step and
ask each other if you want to be a principality together.  Armed with real
life experiences can make the transition much more survivable.

Talen
---------
Centurion Talen von Marienburg
1st Kriegsherr von Nordsteorra