ANST - Defender's Culture Camps

Vicki Marsh zarazina at flash.net
Mon Jun 1 12:12:33 PDT 1998

Greetings,

So far, it looks like we have two official Culture Camps and Coordinators.

Norse - Mistress Reginleif
Chivalric - Lady Simone

Our fair Cousins from Bryn Gwlad evidenced an interest in a Burgundian Camp.

 If so, please have the camp coordinator contact Lady Arabella ASAP at ladyarabella at hotmail.com

I know some of you have had fun with the "culture" jokes, but if you haven't ever made it to a Defender
and seen the Norse or the Middle Eastern or the Gypsy encampments,
 then you have missed something very special.

Last year, each of the camps also spent time teaching the children about their cultures.
There were live demonstrations in the Norse encampment of spinning, dying, and soap-making.
They had a naming ceremony.
The main part of the camp was all Viking A-frame tents.

The Mongols had a Yurt with a ceremonial dinner in the firepit that was
dug out of the center of the yurt.  They even had kumis, sort of.

The Middle Eastern camp had a fine feast with a story of traders, dancing and drumming.
The Gypsies had a dispute over arranged marriages and lots of dancing in front of the wagons.

The year before, the Japanese had a beautiful encampment with kites and dancing.
The Chivalric camp had a fine feast table, displays of heraldry , lovely subtleties,
bardic tales of glory, and dancing throughout the night.
The Byzantine Camp had a beautiful A & S display with Icons and mosaics.
The Celtic Camp had a killer Bardic circle, the stone archway, and banners all about.

The research and hard work of many people can make this a wondrous event.
But it takes time and planning.

What do you get out of it?  Well, the winning camp takes home the chest filled with goodies and loot.

Others can earn great word fame for their skills and service.  The journey is everything.

Your household, shire or Barony could start working now, as a group, to make the best encampment that Ansteorra has ever seen.

Thank you,

Zara Zina, Baroness of Elfsea