ANST - STRONGHOLD?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Jun 5 09:01:28 PDT 1998

(BTW: Austin is under a punctuation alert today.  We're
being asked to avoid excess punctuation -- use public
punctuation, draw it by hand, et cetera.  I have trimmed the
Subject: line for this.)

OK, I'll ask the followon -- what's a "freehold", who
prohibits it, and why?

According to Corpora (available by http://www.sca.org if you
have Web access), a "stronghold" is an institutional branch
at a military base.  "Port" is an alternate term, favored by
ships.  (Go figure.)  It's like "college", which is an
institutional branch at a college.  I believe, but was
unable to check, that institutional branches go into
abeyance if they lose their membership qualification to be a
branch, and may be revived later if they get their
membership back up.  This contrasts with shires, baronies,
et cetera, which may be degraded or dissolved if they fall
below their membership minima.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;