ANST - Documentation question

Phyllis Spurr Phyllis.Spurr at tdh.state.tx.us
Fri Jun 5 11:53:08 PDT 1998

> From:          dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
> Date:          Fri, 05 Jun 98 09:06:19 -0600
>
>      Would Master Richard's project page(s) be sufficient information for
>      documentation in an A&S competition, if I followed it exactly? If I
>      changed something?
>
>      Estrill

When I judge an item, looking at the references, I would like to see
a primary source.  Very few people have a primary source because they
are sometimes difficult to find.  I consider a primary source as the
actual item the entrant has held in their hands or at least had their
nose up against the glass looking at.  I think everyone realizes that
not everyone is lucky enough to have actual items at their disposal
to base their research on.  So...

Failing the primary source, at least two secondary sources.
Secondary sources are descriptions, drawings, etc from someone who
has actually held the item and studied it.  Master Richard's research
would fall into this category.

A tertiery source is someone else using a secondary source to
describe, draw, etc an item.  Usually unreliable.  Each step loses
some details and expounds some errors.

If you change anything, such as the ground cloth is not a 33 count
linen, but a 21 count cotton; you used DMC floss instead of the silk;
 you used silk, but couldn't get a good purple so you used another
color;  just state the change you made and the reason.  I usually but
all my changes under a separate section in my documentation entitled
Justification.

Hope this helps,

Meistres Eowyn ferch Rhys
Barony of Elfsea