ANST - A/S - Herbal info

Laury Torrence J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 6 23:58:49 PDT 1998

Damaris of Greenhill was looking for information
on alecost/costmary.  All I have at this moment on
that particular herb follows:

Crysanthemum balsamita (Tanacetum balsamita)
known as - Alecost/Costmary          Compositae

According to Gerard, the 16th century herbalist, alecost
was "cherished for its' sweete flowers and leaves."  Its
balsamic leaves and flowering tops were also important in
brewing to help clear and preserve ale and to impart an
astringent, minty bitterness.  Alecost was taken by settlers
to Amercia, where the Puritans carried a leaf in their bibles
as a fragrant bookmark and to allay appetites during long
sermons, giving alecost the nickname "bible leaf."  The word
"cost" derives from costum, the Latin name for a spicy oriental
herb, so alecost mean a spicy herb for ale, and costmary is
Mary's (or women's) spicy herb, as it was used to ease childbirth.

(text directly from The Complete Book of Herbs - a practical guide
to growing and using herbs, by Lesley Bremness)

There are full cultivational instructions, along with full color photos
of the entire plant, from flower to root.  I purchased it at Barnes and
Noble, and it is still available in either softback or hardback editions.
Would be happy to send on the rest of the info if you want it.

Baroness Caterina Coeur Noir