ANST - Horn/Hide Glue

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Sun Jun 7 19:41:12 PDT 1998

>I am hoping somebody would help me with an A&S question; Was there a
>bonding compound (i.e.; glue) used in period. I am looking at an A&S
>project that requires attaching bone (I'm planning on using a piece of
>ram horn to a fairly flexible wood.
>   I hope someone can give me a pointer.

Valstarr, there were lots of different formulas for glue.  All the glues
which I have seen documented for attaching leather or wood to anything else
are basically hide or horn glues --- you take lots of old animal hides, cow
horns, horse hooves and the like and boil them down to make glue.

There are still some commercially available hide glues that can still be
purchased.  I guarantee that most will wish to avoid making their own glue,
as glue rendering is a stinky, nasty business.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)