ANST - Looms for Tape Weaving

Donna C dcdesign at shield.com
Mon Jun 8 07:12:33 PDT 1998

>Actually just doing some inkle weaving.  I know the inkle loom itself
is
>a post-period creation but what did they use in period?  I know the
>South/Central Americans use a method called backstrap weaving which
>gives the same effect.  I once read how the ancients Scandanavians
did
>their weaving but I have long since lost that memory.  Mistrss
Gunnora
>or anyone else????
>

>Thanks,
>
>Moriel***

There were a lot of different methods for what was commonly called
"Tape Weaving". From the most simple; embedding two sticks in the
ground a good distance apart; to a small lap loom with ratchets and
locking mechanisms.

Some of the most common were variations on the two sticks. In several
cultures, they would mount two rods onto a flat piece of board. This
could be done in many sizes; from one about two feet apart (that could
fit on your lap), to one about six feet apart (you either sat or stood
between the poles).
I know of people who have used their four poster bed as a substitute
for the larger of these.

I have found a modern commercial child's loom that fits the fourteenth
century loom that I want. It has a flat base with two sets of arms and
rods, one at each end. It has ratchets and locking clips. It also came
with a rigid heddle. The best thing of all is that it fits in my lap.
No more breaking my back to use the inkle looms!!! I am in the process
of warping it up with cards using silk.

To make the shed in period, what they would use would depend on what
they were making. If they wanted to make an edging for clothes, they
would use a rigid heddle. If they wanted to make a belt or anything
sturdy, they would use cards.

Two really good resources that I have found are:

- The Book of Looms by Eric Broudy (ISBN0-87451-649-8)

This one covers a lot of different looms from all over the ancient
world.

- Textiles and Clothing by Elisabeh Crofoot, Frances Pritchard and Kay
Staniland (ISBN 0 11 290445 9)

This book not only briefly hits on a variety of looms, it also describes massive information about twist, weave, dyes, content among other
things. All of the pieces of textiles in this one are existing.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Galla Cunningham
Barony of Bryn Gwlad