ANST - was INTERNET...now A&S...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Jun 8 09:51:01 PDT 1998

Karen Evans said something that sounded like:
> Interesting.  I would have used more strawberries, and maybe a
> different sweetener since processed sugar can leave such a strong
> after taste.

I've never noticed a strong taste, but a strong smell. It can leave a
cidery or vinegary smell to things. We weren't concerned with the
strawberry flavor. Unfortunately I didn't not have any other type of
sugar when we put it together. It was a last minute project.

> Have you sampled it yet?

Yep. Strong alcohol bite, but good flavor and smell.

> I guess using honey would make
> it a sparkling strawberry mead instead of champagne,

We typically use about a thrid to half that amount of strawberries in
our melomels. This gives them the flavor of strawberries while still
giving the mead the primary taste.

> but that is just
> a technicality, since champagne is named after the grape, not the
> bubbles.

This is why I put "champagne" in quotes.

Ciao,