ANST - A&S Topic: Glue

Alan J. Boertjens a-boertjens1 at ti.com
Mon Jun 8 13:20:52 PDT 1998

>> Vicki Marsh wrote:
>> Paraffin wax was also used, but not as durable.  The best ideas
>> would probably come from some of the Norse digs and from the armor
>> museums.  There are also references to glues that were used in the
>> making of musical instruments.  Check out the library or on the web
>> for information.

>Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Paraffin is a petroleum-based wax and wasn't invented until the 18th
> or 19th century. Do you perhaps mean bee's wax? I don't believe I've
> heard of any glues based on wax. Do you have more details? Like what
> was added to the wax?

There is a natural glue that bees make and use inside their hives.
This glue (I can't remember the name of it though) can be used as
a "special" additive to laquers used in musical instruments.
I took a beekeeping class at UNT this last term and the instructor
uses it in this fashion in his violin repair shop.
However, harvesting this type of natural glue may be a painful
exercise, in more ways than one.  If anyone wants more information
about this bee glue, just ask and I'll consult the beekeeping textbook
from the class.

In service for The Dream,
~Johan Bjornsson