ANST - Landed Nobility...

Laury Torrence J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 9 13:15:47 PDT 1998

----------
Pug wrote:
>   I know that the function of the Landed Nobility is defined by each
>   group. I know that each group has different expectations of their
>   Landed Nobility.
> -------------------
This will be quite interesting to see what sort of replies you'll get!  Having
been a Landed Baroness, I'll answer from my experience, and my personal
feelings on the questions.  Hope it's helpful!
Baroness Caterina Coeur Noir

>Q:   What does the Landed Nobility do in each group? Are they truly
>     figureheads or do they do more active leading?

A:  This varies widely between groups AND the personalities of the people
themselves.  The stronger your officers, the easier your job is.....unless there
are also strong personality conflicts, which can lead to internal problems.  Not to
mention a lot of stress!

>Q:   What does each group and/or individual expect from their Landed
>     Nobility?

A:  Again this will vary, even more widely from individual to individual.  I personally

like to see Landed Nobility lead by example, as much as by being the "Team Leaders".

>Q:   Do the expectations from the group change when the Landed Nobility
>     changes?

A:  Not totally, (as far as the basic job description goes), but a most emphatic yes!  We
are all different people, with different "management" styles, differing personalities, and
differing tastes.  Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same?!

>Q:   What *should* we expect? (This is for the ideal world that we don't
>     live in.)

A:  I think that one should expect the obvious.  Your Landed Nobles are the
Representatives of the Crown to the folk of that Barony.  We should expect
that they speak for the Populace to the Crown, for example, award reccommendations.
They also have their personal obligations to the Crown, to represent/enforce (may be too
strong a word) policy to the Populace.

>Q:   Do those Nobles living in groups without Landed Nobles perform a
>     similar function?

A:  They may at the discretion of the Crown, perform certain functions, such as the
holding of Courts to present awards at events, etc.  I personally enjoy doing this from
time to time, and Baroness Ulrike the Frank did so fairly often (and she was never a
landed).  Or Landed Nobles may be called on by the Crown to perform these functions
as well.  Jeremy and I were asked to hold Court at a Shadowlands event.  You never
know when you may be called upon, sometimes there is very little advance notice, such
as a an emergency, or the Crown themselves being spread too thin on a particularly busy
weekend.  There may be 4 events that require their presence in a weekend,  obviously
it's just not possible to do more than there are bodies to go around!