ANST - Smelting Iron

Bill Osterheim Polydore at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 10 16:46:28 PDT 1998

Joe Wolf wrote:

> How would one go about smelting a small quantity of iron?  Say, large enough for a dagger.  I understand that a large quantity of ore is subjected to high heat until a "bloom" of iron makes its way to the bottom... but what else is involved?  Anyone have experience with this, or know some great reference sources?
>
> With thanks!
>
> Lord Manfred Wolf - Budding knife maker, but tired of stock removal
> Barony of the StarGate, Ansteorra

Well, there is some information in "The Pirotechnia of Vannoccio
Biringuccio" from
Dover Publications, Inc. of New York. I don't know who carries this
work, except
that Centaur Forge Ltd.  (Blacksmith and farriers supplies) of
Burlington, WI
carries it. Their # is (414) 763 9175   They have a lot of other nifty
things, for
those interested in blacksmithing... including new coal forges and
blowers!

Polydore
	of
		Polydore's Inflatable Anvils  ;{)=