ANST - Re:vinting.

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jun 10 23:13:08 PDT 1998

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Robert Knaus <Tech at filebox.com> wrote:
> Kleenex was originally a trademarked name, but it was lost precisely
> because of this.  They did not take "appropriate and reasonable
> actions" to protect the usage of the name

Certainly this has happened with some products in the past.  The
classic case is "aspirin", which was originally a brand name.  A
less-understood one is "Webster's", I believe.  Anyone can call a
dictionary "Webster's", not just Merriam-Webster.  Defense certainly
happens.  Xerox is strict on criticizing people for "xeroxing"
documents.  "Copying", "photocopying", "xerographing" are all OK.

However, I think you are incorrect with respect to "Kleenex".  I
grabbed the box next to me and looked.  The side says "Kleenex(R)
BRAND TISSUE".  The ad on the back mentions "KLEENEX(R) COLDCARE(TM)
Tissue".  The notes at the bottom of the ad say
    (R) Registered Trademark-Marca Registrada
    (TM) Trademark of Kimberly-Clark Corporation
I use "(R)" to represent the superscript R-in-a-circle.  I use "(TM)"
to represent a superscript TM.

I don't think they could use those marks if it were in fact in the
public domain.

I'm sorry!  I wandered away from SCA topics again.

Daniel "Acronym du jour: WRT: With Respect To" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.