ANST - Info Request

Casey&Coni cjw at vvm.com
Thu Jun 11 12:02:29 PDT 1998

We (Jovian and I) make the piece first with any stitching that needs to be
done.  Then we get a turkey tin (the ones at thanksgiving always come in
pairs... this is what we do with the second one) and straddle it across two
stove burners.  Put in a big ol chunk of wax (beeswax if you're rich,
parafin if you're not) and fire up the burners to medium.  After it's all
melted, use tongs to set your piece of leather in there.  You have to hold
the bugger submerged throughout the process.  Boil it.  I won't give you a
time to boil it but rather to boil it till all the little bubbles quit
coming out of each section of leather.  Curved and large pieces sometimes
need to be done in sections.  Your house will stink so wait til your wife is
away and tell her the water heater went screwy on you but you fixed it.
Wear gloves.  Work with someone who can spell  you if you get tired or catch
fire (thx Jovian).  Don't move the turkey pan til the wax hardens up after
you're done working.

Dieterich