ANST - Nobility..

Laury Torrence J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 11 16:43:11 PDT 1998

>   Pug wrote:
>   Okay. No one really liked my previous questions so we'll try some
>   more.

Ah shucks!  I thought they were pretty good questions myself!  It's also
been interesting reading the resulting answers you're getting now.  Not
all of us look at our e-mail every day (or multiple times when wer'e bored).
Think I found your next set as fascinating too.....

>   What are the criteria/qualities for becoming a Court Baron/ess?
>   What should be the criteria/qualities for becoming a Court Baron/ess?

>From what I've seen in Ansteorra, CB's are usually given to those individuals
(and sometimes couples) who give of themselves above and beyond the
usuall contributions we all (in general) make.  They are generally, but not
always, given to those individuals stepping down from Territorial positions.
The criteria seem to vary as widely as the Crowns.  But overall, those who
are given CB's are more than deserving, and in some cases I've seen, should
probably be given Peerages.

>   These people are supposed to be Nobility, what makes up the Society's
>     definition of nobility?

Again, you ask for the Society's definition of something.  We are but individuals
here, and can but give idividual opinions.  So far those I've read seem to me to
be the general consensus.  To be noble is to lead by example, the same as we
expect from our Peers.  To quote directly from the Known World Handbook,
Courtesy and Etiquette in the Current Middle Ages: "Rule #1 - Treat your
inferiors in rank, knowledge, or experience as if they were your equals; treat your
equals as if they were superiors; treat officers as representatives of the King; and
treat the King and Queen with the reverence due your sovereigns."
That's pretty much how I look at a lot of things, SCA-wise

>   Has there been a Landed Baron/ess of Ansteorra who did not recieve a
>     Court Barony when they stepped down?

I have not heard of this happening in recent years.  However, I believe I was told
by Countess Bunny that it had happened in a group she was familiar with back
east.  I imagine if you were such an absolute s*** and were more or less run out
of town on a rail, it might happen that a CB would not be forthcoming.

Having fun answering anyway!!
Baroness Caterina