ANST - Period Paste and Glue

Jax jax at onr.com
Thu Jun 11 11:06:15 PDT 1998

Brendan McEwan said:

>Not true.  Hide glue dries hard enough to chip chisels.  Hide glue can
>also be softened and removed with water.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the education. I have never used hide glue
and knew nothing about it, except that making it was a stinky pain in the
patootie. Paste is pretty easy to make, from readily available materials,
using readily available equipment. (I mean, we all eat, right?) Also, it
doesn't stink, which might keep you out of trouble if you live with
people, or rent. And it is quite strong; Good for some applications.

The glues I was referring to in my previous post were modern glues; most
of them are designed to stay flexible, and are somewhat water resistant.
Paste is most definitely neither. Not Good for these applications.

I am glad to learn that hide glue is available commercially. And the post
on fish glue was very interesting. Between the three, I imagine most
period projects requiring adhesives would stay stuck. They all seem to
suffer from the same weakness, though: Lack of water resistance. Does
anyone know how to help with this? How did period craftsmen deal with it?

Regards,
-Erik Wulfriksson-
Who is from Louisiana, where it actually rains.