ANST - Glue...

jhartel jhartel at net-link.net
Thu Jun 11 14:02:50 PDT 1998

Greetings,

 Just a bit more on glue that we found while doing research this evening
on mosaics.

 "Christains of the 11th century liked to travel with mosaic painted
 icons.  Their icons were composed of tiny tesserae held with a mixture
 of wax and resin.  The wax-resin mix was sperad directly onto the wood
 panel.  This resin was also damp-proof."

 THE ART OF MAKING MOSAICS, Jenkins, Louisa and Mills, Barbara.  pp 34-5

 I believe this would be considered a tertiary source but the authors
 have cited many secondary sources as well as pictures from many mosaics
 found in Greece.

 Moriel*** and Eldred