ANST - Nobility..

Laury Torrence J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 11 19:59:51 PDT 1998

 Daniel de Lincolia wrote:
> Nope.  Corpora: "The titles of Baron or Baroness, whether territorial
> or of the court, shall carry at least an Award of Arms if the
> recipient is not already armigerous."  Ansteorra *is* unusual in
> ranking barons so high.  Personally, I'd rather see *all* barons rank
> above all peers, but that's just because of this weird notion I have
> that "baron" is a higher title than "knight".

Thank you for the Corpora quote!  That settles the last question of
what sort of rank(ings) a CB can carry.  I think it's rather special that
we treat ours quite a bit nicer in Ansteorra than elsewhere.  As for
*all* Barons ranking above Peers, I'm not so sure about that.  I can
see the reasoning behind Landeds ranking above Peerages, as they
are the direct representatives of the Crown.  And even though we as
CB's also represent the Crown (in a roundabout way), we are not
required to swear fealty, as are Landed Nobles and Peers.  Therefore
the place assigned to us in the OP seems to be about right.  I understand
your notion though, you're thinking too literally, and in the context of
medieval chivalric code.  This has become an amazingly interesting
discussion!  Bet Galen is sorry he unsubcribed now!

Baroness Caterina